Monday, January 5, 2009

Silent but Deadly

I'm not talking about farts, I'm talking about carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a colorless, odorless gas that kills. Take a moment to google carbon monoxide poisoning and you'll be amazed at the sheer number of deaths from this easily preventable situation. If you are like me and would rather spare yourself the depressing details, just read on.

My husband is a firefighter and so many people ask what kind of detectors are the best. He prefers the Nighthawk detector and says that the ones with the digital readouts are the ones that they prefer when they go on a call. You'll want one on every level where people sleep and it is a great idea to have one on your main floor as well. It's important to understand that CO detectors are NOT smoke detectors, you'll still need those. If your smoke detector starts to chirp (never fails it is at 3am) change the batteries and put it back! Don't take it down and hide it under a pillow!! With the colder weather and people turning up the heat or using small heaters or generators the incidents of CO poisoning go up.

Hard to find something funny about Carbon Monoxide poisoning, but I did my best with the title.

Don't put it off, get yours today!


  1. We just got ourselves one a few weeks ago. Battery is in and it is laying on our dresser. I need to kick my husband in the pants to actually mount it. But the battery is in and it's up there. That counts for something, right? We need to get one more for the bottom level.

  2. Kelli- does your detector plug in as well? I am asking because I think they all plug in as well...or are you talking about a fire detector?

    Georgie- Thanks! and it really is an important message!

  3. I am so glad you posted about this. We nearly died about 16 years ago when we had a furnace that was not working right. We had no detectors and were rushed to the hospital. We were blessed to survive. My husband myself and our six week old baby. We have them all over hour house now. Such a small price to pay for safety and life.

    Mrs. Potts